How To Install Your Central Vacuum System Correctly

Carpet Cleaning

If you have had enough of having to carry or drag your vacuum cleaner from room to room when doing the housework, then perhaps a central vacuum system is just what you need. Having a central vacuum is very convenient. They offer a level of silence that a traditional vac doesn’t and they are up to 5 times stronger when it comes to suction. A central vacuum system is also hygienic as it will have self-cleansing filters designed to capture and remove micro-particles. The best part is that the air from a central vacuum’s suction is blasted off outdoors, so any dust and debris will not be recirculated in the house.

Little CVS SchemaIt is typical for a central vacuum system to be purchased as a readily installed feature, but if you are prepared to perform the installation yourself, you could save yourself some serious money. The average central vacuum system will set you back between $1000 – $1500 for all of the parts and components. When you note that a high-end vacuum will cost roughly the same, it makes sense to have a serious think about installing a central cleaning system. You can read the good manual for choosing the best of a central vacuum system.

The main parts of a CVS (Central Vacuum System) are the motorized pump, the canister and beater bar, PVC pipes and fixtures, low voltage cabling, power and suction outlets, hose accessories, etc. Most new build homes that have a CVS will have it built into the home during construction and will consist of the direct-connect system. The power to CVS is controlled by the beater bar and the motor via a switch that is located in the grip of the hose.

You are going to need to take measurements of the entire floor space of the home. This is because you will want to be able to reach each and every corner of the property without any issues. You are going to want a vacuum hose which stretches to at least 80% the length of the room and the remaining 20% is made up via extension wands and accessory pieces.

Placing the inlets in the correct places is also important. You want to space them far enough apart that they do not dominate the wall surface, yet near enough together that the entire home can be cleaned without missing spaces.

Hose for Central Vac

The canister, which will collect all of the vacuumed waste should ideally be placed in a garage, basement, or external utility room. This ensures that all debris and dirt is completely removed from the building and without the chance of it re-entering the atmosphere. The exhaust wants to be placed in an exterior location and away from windows and doors. To get outlets installed on upper floors, you can take advantage of any clothes or rubbish chutes to feed to vacuum pipes through.

CVS SchemaThe most difficult part of the entire installation is when it comes to cutting and sawing into walls, which already have cables and utilities installed in them. This can be nerve-wracking and should be a cause for concern. Take your time and go slow. You will want to limit the possibility of damaging cables and electrical wires, so following vents and grills will give you a good idea of areas of the wall which are free to use.

An electric stud sensor will be able to locate the areas between studs, and it can also help you locate any fire-blocking  zones. When you have found the free space between studs, mark it with a pencil and then drill into the floor next to the wall with a quarter inch drill bit. Place a bracket against the wall, roughly a foot above the floor and then draw around the base on the wall. You can then cut an opening in the wall with the use of a drywall saw or the like.

Now find the original hole you drilled into the floor, this will help you center the location at the top of the wall. Use a2 and a quarter inch drill bit to make a whole, and the feed the power cable through it to the hole in the lower wall.

Take a dual ell and fix it to the bracket and have it facing down. Next, you will take off roughly an inch of the insulation from the wire ends and fix them under the terminal screws. You then want to move the upper and lower flange flush to the wall and then use a finger to reach in the ell and push the masculine end of the inlet through the O ring.

The pipes may then be connected throughout the home, starting from the upper parts down and by following the same process as before. Once all pipes are connected and sealed, the ends will be affixed to the canister, which completes the circuit and allows for complete suction from each outlet throughout the home. And there you have it, a CVS ready to use whenever you need it.